In a book I published earlier this year I wrote the following:
“Not many want to think about terminating the existence of their product or service, hoping it will be there forever.
But it won’t. At least not in its very first shape or version. Besides, the updates might be so crucial that at some point you will have something entirely new and different than merely an upgraded product or service.
I can guarantee that sooner or later you will need to discard one (and most probably more) of your products or services or various parts of them.”
“Take Control of Your Business: Learn what Business Rules are, discover that you are already using them, then update them to maximize your business success.”
I didn’t think I would need to terminate one of my books that soon after the start of my business (not yet two years), but I know it is a correct decision.
What happened is the following. Last year I published a resource for the S1000D community titled “S1000D Issue 4.1 Untangled.” It arranged 552 Business Rules Decisions Points (BRDP) defined by the specification and also added several new ones into a sequential chain for the S10000D implementation. The book was very well received by the community.
This year I have published a follow-up resource named “S1000D® Issue 4.1 and Issue 4.2 Navigation Map.” It could not serve as a new edition of the “S1000D Issue 4.1 Untangled” because this time the book covered two issues of the specification and also showed the relationship between them when it came to the Business Rules Decision Points.
The “S1000D Issue 4.1 Untangled” continued to sell after the publishing of the second book. I realized that it only sold because of its lower price and that situation didn’t feel good.
If we compare the “S1000D Issue 4.1 Untangled” and “S1000D® Issue 4.1 and Issue 4.2 Navigation Map,” it is clear that the former is of the lower quality than the latter. Therefore, I have unpublished it.
To compensate for the possible inconvenience, I have considerably reduced the price for the “S1000D® Issue 4.1 and Issue 4.2 Navigation Map.”
You can find the reasons of un-publishing “S1000D Issue 4.1 Untangled” and the new prices for the “S1000D® Issue 4.1 and Issue 4.2 Navigation Map” on the “S1000D Issue 4.1 Untangled” page here.
Last year I published my first book on S1000D called “S1000D Issue 4.1 Untangled”. The feedback was very positive, and I was very glad to receive requests to create further resources in this respect.
With the new Issue of S1000D, Issue 4.2, and the wishes of the community to develop the information for Issue 4.1 further, the decision of creating a new resource came naturally.
And since both Issues are forward and backward compatible I decided to create a resource covering both Issues and show how the BRDP have changed from one Issue to another.
This new resource bears the title “S1000D® Issue 4.1 and Issue 4.2 Navigation Map” and subtitle “552+87 and 429+90 Business Rules Decision Points Arranged into two Linear Topic Maps to Facilitate Learning, Understanding, and Implementation of S1000D®”.
The price of this new resource is higher than for the first book. But this is also because of several new and valuable features:
- The new book gives information on two Issue of S1000D, Issue 4.1 and Issue 4.2.
- It provides Chap and Para references for each BRDP, whereas the first resource has sent you to Chap 2.5.3 of Issue 4.1 to find out this information.
- The information for each BRDP in both topic maps (BRDP chains) has been extended to identify how the certain BRDP information has changed when moving from Issue 4.1 to Issue 4.2: Whether it remained the same, was deleted, edited, or whether it is entirely new.
- Guidance information has been extended, in particular, various scenarios for its use.
- The book provides a mapping of the BRDP numbers to the topics defined in the book.
- The Issue 4.1 information was updated: two additional topics are identified, some of the BRDP changed places, OW’s words updated in a few places.
Many retailers allow a free look into the book, and I invite you to do so. The free sample shows a considerable amount of the information:
- All introductory chapters,
- List of all topics for Issue 4.1 both in alphabetical and sequential order,
- Detailed information on the first ten topics of the Issue 4.1 BRDP Chain. (at least for the free sample displayed on Amazon.com)
Thus this free sample will give you a good idea about the information provided by the book.
Price: $ 39.99 e-book, $ 79.99 paperback (the price in other currencies depends on the current exchange rate).
Please Note (!!!): if you buy the paperback version of the book, then you get the e-book for FREE.
You can find more details, including the links where you can buy the paperback and/or e-book, here: “S1000D® Issue 4.1 and Issue 4.2 Navigation Map”.